The Midday Meal

A repository for the various things i consume in the course of daily existence

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Songs 3 & 4 Guns & Roses - Sweet Child of Mine / Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart

I realise I'm cheating a little with two, but this could well have been three or four songs. However, as the Captain and Grievous have already grabbed some sugar and been dancing with the neighbour I can limit it to two. I love guitars. This love never inspired me to learn to play the guitar properly, but I still love guitars. These two songs are all about the guitar.

For a period in the late 80's I was convinced of the value of owning the great albums on vinyl, I've since gotten over that conviction, but it left me with a fantastic collection of two "classic" records on vinyl (I've recently returned to the love of vinyl, although for different reasons).

Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood was one of these two (the other was Def Leppard's Hysteria). These were two albums I was convinced would be cool forever, so that when I turned 40 I could fire up the turntable and lay these babies down and bask in the awe my amazing rock credibility would create.

I'm still holding out hope that I'll be able to do that with Hysteria, but I am resigned to the fact that Dr Feelgood will not go down in history as the greatest album ever and that if I were to bring my copy of that album out at my 40th it would be met with the howls of derision it so richly deserves. By 40 I think I'll be well over the idea that drinking Jack Daniels from the bottle is the way to go, and I'll have realised that wearing a silly hat and having a cigarette hanging out of my mouth is not the epitome of cool. I'm pretty sure right now I don't think that's cool any more and as the Dandy Warhols said heroin is a bit passe.

Having said this Kickstart My Heart was written about being hit with the defibrilator after having O.D.ed on the Horse. And it has guitars, and it rocked... hard... really really really hard, or so i thought at the time. It was loud and distorted and full of noise. I think I mistook this for rocking, I was only 13 at the time. It would take me a few years and hearing bands such as Soundgarden and Kyuss to truly understand how heavy guitars could be, but as with Revolution, the growl of Mick Mars' guitar in this song whet the appetite for guitars further.

Sweet Child O' Mine is different, sure it's by the band with the guy who wore the silly hat and had the cigarrette and the JD but it's not about the alcohol, the drugs, the women. It's lyrically cheesy, but it is sweet, and it hasn't been diminished significantly in the 15 years since it came out. I bet there isn't many of you who've not heard the intro and played a little air guitar along with it, I still do. There was a time when I even learnt to play the real thing (but only the intro).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home