The Midday Meal

A repository for the various things i consume in the course of daily existence

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Listening: The Go! Team – Thunder, Lightning, Strike

Sure big, bad warehouse chains are destroying smaller retailers, the demise last year of the Canberra institution Impact Records is an example of such, but I can’t help but be happy with the cause of this demise, JB Hifi. It was at JB I found The Go! Team’s Thunder, Lightning, Strike for $12. It is possibly the best $12 I’ve spent this year.

All over the shop and reminiscent of The Avalanches taking acid with the Jackson Five while receiving musical instruction from Bobby Gillespie and Thurston Moore this album is a mish-mash of hooks, samples, loops and cheerleader enthusiasm.

By using music from all the sources they possibly could they have created an album on which nothing sounds the same and yet everything fits in together. The only problem I have with the album is that it’s barely half an hour long… but the amount of different musical sounds and styles they crammed into that half hour is awesome, and it is so fun... I challenge anyone to listen to Bottle Rocket and not want to jump up and dance around like a raving lunatic, I've had the 2-4-6-8 chant stuck in my brain for three weeks and its all I want to do everytime I hear it.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:02 AM, Blogger mister z said…

    they're in oz at the end of july..

    http://www.memphis-industries.com/the_go_team.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home