The Midday Meal

A repository for the various things i consume in the course of daily existence

Friday, June 24, 2005

Song 15 Mogwai - May Nothing But Happiness Come Through Your Door

8 minutes and 29 seconds and the only thing approaching a lyric is some random sample near the end which goes something like "please help the light". But it is exactly why I love mogwai’s second album, Come On Die Young, a dark, beautiful, complex mix of samples, music and feedback. The reason I love it is simple, it taught me that music doesn’t necessarily need words to say something.

It may reflect badly on me, but for most of my life I only had an emotive reaction to music which has a story which I could relate to, and to do that it required lyrics. I didn’t understand classical, jazz or even electronic music because of this. Mogwai I responded to, no lyrics, no story, just sound, but sound that creates a landscape in my head.

Since then I haven’t really opened my heart much to classical or jazz music… I can appreciate there is a lot of talent involved and I am much more aware of the effect that music can have, but they still don’t float my boat. I don’t think it’s entirely coincidental that I encountered CODY around the turn of the century, and before I “discovered” the joys of electronic music. I don’t think I’d have enjoyed the early part of this decade anywhere near as much as I did if I hadn’t been able to connect with the music without the aid of stimulants.

I also think this has the greatest song title ever.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "please hold the line"
    it's from BT operator

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Britsh Telecom operator recording (telephone operator trying to connect to another service or number).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home